Thursday, November 17, 2022

Windows 11 Reliability History - My Solution

No, don't install Linux, unless you want to open a whole new can of worms. This is about solving the apparent reliability issues that seems to happen on Windows 11 regardless of how diligent you are with maintenance, installing programs and web surfing practices.

First off, let's look at the issues I have had with my computer:

CPU error causing the computer to lock up and requiring the reset button to be pushed which registers only as Windows not properly shut down. When this happens, the video card turns off and registers as a CPU fault on the MB.
Svchost stopped working.
Failed Windows update for a video card driver which Windows isn't supposed to be addressing.
Windows Image Acquisition stopped working.
Security Intelligence update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - Failed Windows update.
Numerous "Hardware" issues - not identified.

The three main parts that seemed to be the issue are: Ryzen 7 2700 running at stock speeds, B450 Carbon Pro MSI mb - overkill for CPU but couldn't resist the price, and an AMD (from HP) RX 580X 8GB running at stock, with standard fan curve and using Radeon "Chill". What might have been involved as well is One TB  NVMe Kingston SNVS1000G, and 32 GB of Corsair Ram but these show no errors on testing. This is not a high - end system but when running good keeps me happy.

All the above - mentioned faults happened within a 10 day period after performing a fresh install of Windows 11. On day 11, I said, "Enough is enough".

My Solution to all this nonsense:

Use DDU in safe mode to uninstall all AMD video card drivers and remnants after Windows decided to take over. Instead of using the AMD tool, which insisted that I download the developer's optional driver, I downloaded Adrenalin 22.5.1 Recommended (WHQL) and installed it, still running after ten days, as there is no update yet.

Once installed and running, I ran SFC and DISM, can't remember the exact commands so google for more info. Even though this was a fresh install ten days prior, these steps showed numerous issues, so either the install corrupted itself or the install was faulty to begin with. Prior to the fresh reinstall, SFC and DISM showed no errors on testing but Reliability History showed lots of errors, hence the reinstall.

Last, I went into power and set "put computer to sleep", to never. The monitor is set to five minutes. This is a desktop system so I wanted to try and see how reliable my computer was without sleep mode. I may try and allow my PC to sleep after ten minutes but I think there is an issue with the sleep mode for the monitor as sometimes it comes right back on without sleeping.

It's been 10 days and there are no issues recorded at all in Reliability History, no CPU faults on the MB and no sudden unexplained stops of WMI and svchost. I do perform a restart every day and sometimes after performing tasks requiring a lot of memory. 

The only conclusion I can make, is that there is a serious issue with Windows 11, perhaps the last version, 22H2. I'm running 22H2 Windows 10 on an older system but the CPU is an intel i5 and the video card is an old GTX 750 so that might play a part in this drama as well. In any case, my pc that I use most of the time is running now without issues and that's all I wanted in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment