Friday, July 29, 2022

Manjaro To The Rescue

I've been using Manjaro for a while now, Firstly on an almost dead chrome book which is most decidedly dead now and now it's on a Dell Optiplex 390 which is starting to show its age, but still a fairly fast machine considering the parts. Its certainly not state-of-the-art but I can surf the web, play some games on it, try to write my book, yeah, not at too fast a pace, but not the computer's fault.

Manjaro is not the OS I would recommend to anyone wanting to use a Linux OS but it was the only one that recognized my old chrome book's sound chip and as it is fairly light weight, running mostly the XFCE desktop manager with some Gnome thrown in for good measure. My setup is pretty sleek, using my MSI Monitor with built in USB ports, I can use one keyboard, mouse, printer and sound system for both computers, all I have to do is plug the main USB plug into which ever computer I want to use and this gives me access to all my peripherals. I do have the Dell on HDMI and my Win computer on DP but it works well and keeps the clutter on my desk to a minimum.

In any case, I want to use Manjaro on a more permanent basis as I find Linux more robust than Windows, in spite of what people believe, its just as prone to being hacked as Windows but I use it to try and be a bit more versatile. Besides there is nothing wrong with learning a new skill regardless of age. On that note, I have a fairly simple Canon printer that still defies my attempts at getting it to work with my spouse's Chrome book, but today, it took all of five minutes to get it working on my Manjaro computer.

I used to use Linux almost exclusively when I was still working online but now I need my Games on Windows fix to keep me sane, so I probably won't switch completely over to Linux but the idea is tempting. OK, kiddies, enough for now, later!

No comments:

Post a Comment